Career Summary of Mr. Lawless’ extensive, successful leadership within the Hospitality world:
23 years with Forte Hotels, managing properties in the UK, South Africa, Ireland and the Caribbean, and in 1991 establishing Forte’s Middles East office, overseeing its growth in this region from 3 to 20 hotels in 6 years; Joined Jumeriah in 1997, establishing it as one of the premier luxury hotel brands in the world, launching the Burj Al Arab and Jumeirah Beach Hotel and becoming the Jumeriah Group’s President and CEO, by 2016 growing Jumeirah’s portfolio to 23 hotels in 11 destinations, within 25 more signed hotel developments in the pipeline.
Selection of Mr. Lawless’ Memberships and Awards:
- Immediate past Chairman and Honorary Member of the World Travel & Tourism Council
- Member of the World Economic Forum’s Network of Global Future Councils on The Future of Mobility
- Chairman of the Irish Business Network
- Member of the Global Irish Forum
- Fellow member of the Institute of Hospitality – F.I.H. (formerly HCIMA)
- Member of the International Advisory Board of Ecole Hôtelière de Lausanne
Previous Memberships and Awards:
- Chancellor and Chairman of the Board of Governors of The Emirates Academy of Hospitality Management
- Member of the Board of Directors of NASDAQ Dubai
- Member of the Board of Directors of Travelodge
- Member of the Board of Directors of The Lagoons Development LLC
- Member of the Board of the Emirates National Development Program (ENDP)
- Awarded an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Business Administration in Hospitality Management, Johnson & Wales University, State of Rhode Island, USA.
- Awarded an Honorary Doctorate by the Middlesex University Dubai.
- Awarded a Lifetime Hotelier Leadership Award from Niagara University in New York
- Recipient of The President Distinguished Service Award for the Irish Abroad
- Awarded an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws by the National University of Ireland, Galway.
- Honorary President of the Jumeirah Group